Thursday, July 3, 2008

this is another one about zombies


Okay, here's the much anticipated news about the Zombie Play. It's actually not about literal zombies themselves. It's actually about college students who use prescription drugs that give them the appearance and mental capacity of the walking dead. More "Junk" than "28 Days Later." And, in a too-familiar red flag scenario, there are multiple spelling mistakes in the audition notice. And no periods. Usually, I would have deleted "Zomby Playe" from my mind 2.5 seconds after I saw it, but...what have I got to lose? Time? Yes. Possibly too much of it? Yes, probably. But, I've realized that I say no to things in a way to protect myself from failing, and if I don't just force myself to go, and be the best Zombie I can be, I'll be wasting this time before I go out to LA. I want to work. No time like the present to do some lo-budget crazy theater, when I'm not paying rent, right?

In other news, the beautiful California sun has etched a bathing suit "V" on my chest. Attractive. Need to get rid of that before shooting starts in two weeks for the little indie movie in CT.

And, I'm sending out my follow-up postcards for the Philly Alliance general auditions three weeks ago. It was my first time doing it, and, after doing so many auditions and projects in small spaces and tiny offices, I was really shocked how vocally out-of-shape I was on the huge and gorgeous Suzanne Roberts Theater stage. All the auditors were spread out in the dark little nooks and crannies of the new plush auditorium, and while I felt confident in my choices, I could feel my vocal chords straining a little. I used to really pride myself on feeling awesome about my strong voice, and now it's a lump of oral fuzz. Fuzz I tell you!

Aaaaaannnnd...no word from People's Light, who I love so much and called me in for their mainstage show next June. I've worked hard over three years to develop a relationship with them, and they do call me in every year for something (huzzah! hurrah!) and I worry about that relationship failing when I move to LA. That was the benefit about coming from Philadelphia, I always had contacts 2 hours outside of New York I could always draw on, and now I'm moving west and I know, oh well, let me see here, um well, one time I auditioned for OSF, so that leaves, oh well, I mean, oh that's right, yeah no one.

And now there's only three days til I leave. I always get nervous at the end of a trip. What have I gotten out of this? How will life be when I get back? Is it true that if you shine a flashlight under your knees you can prevent jet lag? What will Monday be like? I try to plan, and pre-plan, and over-plan, and plan planned plans, but really, this is the most unprepared I've ever felt about anything. I'm going back to Philadelphia for three months, and I bet work to fill it with something, or else I'm going to go insane and end up an actual zombie, of the actor variety.

No comments: