Sunday, August 10, 2008

The ol' watering hole

I aspire to be more like the Beijing Olympic Games Opening: bright, beautiful, joyful, confident. Ah, yes, and I'd like to wear some sort of lime jumpsuit adorned with lightbulbs. At one point, I guess the scene revolved around water, and how vital water is to the Chinese culture. As the NBC announcer said, they believe that water is the perfect objective: we can be strong and supple at the same time, always fluid and flexible, always changing. That's my new goal. How feng shui of me! Or whatever!

In other news, I've lucked into a fabulous job that pays awesome and under the table to boot. My sister hooked me up with this wealthy Main Line family who she assists for, and while they're vacationing in Jackson Hole (so jealous) their friend/interior decorator needs help renovating their house. Enter me. I'm an organizational beast. I'm a researching giant! IKEA: Give me everything you've got. Benjamin Moore: You are my paint slaves.

Unfortunately, the downside to happy fun wealthy job is that I'm spending every free moment there. A panic attack ensued. I don't know what I'm doing! I suck at this! I need more money! I hate my life!!!! Two things happened after that.

1. I realized this is the perfect job for me right now. It's fairly flexible, so I can go actually whenever I want. And one of my goals this summer was to become an organizational beast anyway. So here I am, practicing my skills that I will be employing on my own life. (My goal for my move to LA and subsequent successful business is to be so completely organized it's impossible for me to be lazy.

2. My good friend Julie reminded me that worrying about money is just about the most useless thing ever. I've been worrying about money in earnest since I was 17, and probably actively worrying since I was 5. (I have a clear memory of being anxious over my parents' financial woes and offering them back my $3 allowance. They didn't take it.) And it's never done me any good. I've never had much more money, or much less, than I do now. Oh well.

And now, I'm off to kayak. with my parents! Next up, make my social life more like water: flowing, active, existent. Bah!

No comments: