Saturday, August 16, 2008

NO!

So, a lot has happened in the two weeks since I've last posted (eep! two weeks!) but I'll just say this: I'm exhausted. The first thing that goes when I'm stressed and working hard is sleep. I have nightmares, I wake up every hour, I can't sleep later than 7. Right now is one of those times.

I've been teaching two theater camps during the day, the last one which was literal Hell on Earth. Like, very nearly the 7th circle of Hell. Like, some diety loathes me right now. 25 kids, 5 days, three with learning disabilities if not all on the autism spectrum, two others with serious attitude problems that resulted in a lot of emotional and physical injury, and a bunch of other crazies in between. Whatever. It's over.

At night, and all day on weekends, I've been assisting for this old money family on the Main Line, which just barely is better than the teaching. (It only loses out on being Number One Current Suckiest Job because it pays well. And under the table ha cha chaaaa!) That whole situation is too much to be posted now. I'm too tired.

I will say this. Because I've been spent 2 weeks repeating "Say 'Yes, and...' to your castmates" to thirty-eight unruly little beasts of children, somehow it got lodged way into my brain and Teresa the Optimist Perfectionist Who's Afraid of Conflict dug herself into a big fat Mansion-shaped hole. You know, "Yes, And...". It's that thing we do in improv, and as theater professionals. We find ourselves faced with unbearable obstacles, or even more often, unbearable castmates who create unbearable obstacles, and we grit our teeth and say, "Yes. I will help you correct your terrible foresight and will change my plans so you can completely change my rehearsal schedule. AND, I'll even help you out by referring you to my friend the TD because you suck ass and your own terrible TD quit on you." Or whatever. The idea is that you connect optimism and obstacles.

And here I am. Fucked over by Yes, And...

No comments: